Friday, February 1, 2013

On the road again...


Today I started getting ready for the Warrior Dash to be held on Saturday, June 1st at historic Rural Hill in Huntersville, NC.  This isn't my first time; I actually completed the one here last year.  I say “completed” because there was more walking than running, and I skipped a couple of the obstacles.  I was with friends and it was fun, but I felt like a poser.

A little background:  I’m a 56 year old, former avid runner -- former as in twenty years ago.  My ultimate goal of training for and running a marathon was met in 1996(?).  As a result of a stress fracture, I never really got back into it again.  There were several failed attempts because I LOVED everything about running:  getting away from the daily office grind, dressing funny (electric blue running tights, anyone?), just getting outside with sun, wind, rain, sleet, snow in my face, the euphoria from the “runner’s high…” but I just couldn't seem to recapture the routine.

Over the years, I've also watched my weight go up and down like a roller coaster.  Last year, I think I topped out at around 215 and, for someone who’s an inch shy of six feet; it was not a good look.  I started exercising and joined Weight Watchers, but then life got in the way and that commitment fell by the wayside.

My buddy Mark got me thinking about being on “cruise control” in so many aspects of my life - just going along to get along.  Then, a week ago, my friend Bryan mentioned that he was signed up for the Dash and I, along with some of the guys who were on the sidelines as cheerleaders last year, should sign up as well.

That same evening, I did.

So, here I am pretty close to where I was this time last year.  I rejoined Weight Watchers, and my starting weight is 213.6.  For the next couple of weeks, my plan is to:

  • use Weight Watchers online tools to track my food intake
  • jog/walk at least 3 times a week
No pressure and no tracking time at this point, but keeping up with days and miles covered. During this time, I'll get a more specific training routine in place to include some weights.

Today was cold and windy for the Piedmont Carolinas:  mid-30’s and 13 mph winds.  I jogged (down hills) and walked (up hills) around a 3.7 mile loop through a couple of surrounding neighborhoods.  Then I took each of our three dogs, in turn, for a half mile walk (they’re each over 80 pounds, and collectively, they think they’re in the Iditarod; hence the three individual walks).  When I started, I felt like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz and didn't look behind me for fear of seeing a trail of rust.  When I finished, I felt like “Hey!  I think I remember that guy!”

Today, I started getting ready for the Warrior Dash to be held on Saturday, June 1st at historic Rural Hill in Huntersville, NC.  Why?  Because, in spite of all efforts to tame that wild and crazy little boy from my past and in spite of all the self-flagellation over perceived weaknesses, failings, or shortcomings (and just out-right excuses), inside, there still beats the heart of a Warrior.

Interestingly, a single word quote came to me while I was out today.  It comes from the 1996 movie “Michael.” 

“BATTLE!”

No comments:

Post a Comment