Monday, February 25, 2013

Completed: Operation Loophole


In an almost subliminal maneuver, I started this journey with a loophole.  February had no plan for walking, running, or any strength training.  The idea was to just gradually get into getting off my rear and walking and/or jogging, thinking that, as the month continued, I would cover the same distance walking less and jogging more, and that the momentum to exercise would snowball.  As usual, I started off strong and motivated.  I got a few jog/walks in, hooked up with one of the other guys for a long Saturday walk, and took each of my three dogs for a mile walk for at least three times a week (3 miles total).  I wasn't planning to do any other exercise, and I followed through with that part of the plan perfectly.  I managed to gain a couple of pounds so my total weight loss was only 3.6 pounds since starting the month.  And then....

I have tons of excuses for fading over the last couple of weeks.  My wife's birthday.  The weather turned cold and wet.  There was a Valentine's weekend getaway with my wife.  Work got busy.  There was a weekend men's retreat.

This isn't to say that I didn't do anything during that time.  I did walk.  Maybe twice a week the dogs each got a trip around the block (1.5 miles total) or, on more industrious days, around the other loop in the neighborhood that was closest to the house (3 miles total).  But I didn't do the 3.7 miler, and there was zero jogging.

So as I start the last week of the month, the momentum is practically at a standstill, but the motivation is still there.  I mean, I'm signed up for this thing.  The Warrior Dash is coming.  My buddies are going to be there and I think they expect me to do more than just walk the course and skip the obstacles   I definitely expect more from myself.

At the outset, I said that this month was just to get acclimated and that I'd develop a real, more serious plan to start next month.

Next month is four days away.  Here's the plan starting Friday, March 1st.

Walking/jogging:  Implement the "Couch-to-5K" running plan (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml).    This plan is for nine (9) weeks, and I have roughly 12 weeks before the Dash, so I'm thinking for the last three weeks I'll add a bit more aggressive plan (speed work?) or a plan that will start me toward a longer run (from 5K to 10K).  I'll save that decision for when I get there.  I'm committing to three times a week (takes into consideration bad weather, changes in schedules, etc.).  Ideally, I'd like to do Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings, followed by walking each of the three dogs the half mile loop around the homestead as a cool down.

As for the strength training, well, let's just say that's going to be the bigger challenge.  I have NEVER enjoyed anything about it.  But I know that it's going to play the bigger part of the Dash challenges.

My wife's trainer suggested the following strength plan (for beginners?), and I'm going to start with it for six to eight weeks:

     On Monday, Wednesday and Friday do the following routine:
          3 sets of 12 push-ups with a 30 second rest between each set
          3 sets of 12 push-ups with feet on box with a 30 second rest between each set
          3 sets of 12 close-grip push-ups with a 30 second rest between each set

     On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday do the following routine:
          3 sets of 12 squats (any kind: body weight, sumo, with dumb bells)with a 30 second rest between each set
          3 sets of 12 reverse lunges per leg with a 30 second rest between each set
          3 sets of 12 hip bridges with a 30 second rest between each set
   
     And each day:
          20 sit-ups with a 20 second rest
          20 toe touches with a 20 second rest
          20 reverse crunches with a 20 second rest
          20 dead bugs followed by 20 sit-ups and then a 20 second rest
          20 toe touches with a 20 second rest
          20 reverse crunches with a 20 second rest
          20 dead bugs

Hopefully, by the end of the six-to-eight weeks, I'll be ready for more of a challenge, and I'm currently looking at the workout program from Men's Health (http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/workout-program-0) to carry me through to the Dash.  As with the running plan, I'll make a decision about that when I get to that point.

As February comes to a close, Operation Loophole is over.  It's time to man up, get serious, and get with it.

"He made my feet like the feet of a deer...He trains my hands for war...."

No comments:

Post a Comment